Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Panko Crusted Squash

I don't know about yall, but I love me some fried squash!  Growing up, we had a garden in our backyard every summer with squash, okra, and other stuff.  Dad would pick it, mom would fry it, and my sister and I would eat it...I could seriously just eat fried squash and okra with ketchup for the rest of my life and be just fine!  Hey, a girl can dream.  :)  Anyway, I have come up with a healthier way to get that same crunchy fried squash taste with less calories and fat.  No, it's not the same as mom's but it's pretty darn good.  Here's how I make it:

First, get your ingredients together and turn the oven on to 350:
• 200g yellow squash (this was about one medium squash)
• 1/8 cup liquid egg whites
• 60g panko bread crumbs (you can find these on the baking aisle)
• 1 tbsp olive oil

Next, you'll need to cut your squash.  Personally, I like mine super thin so I use a mandolin.  It's not fancy but it works!  If you don't have one of these, you can just use a knife.

 
 
 
Once all your squash is cut, set up your breading station.  Dump the egg whites into a bowl or plate, and add in some salt and pepper.  Then dump your breadcrumbs onto a plate and add in some salt and pepper.  Also, get your baking sheet ready.  I lined mine with foil and spread 1/2 tbsp olive oil on the bottom.
 
 
 
So, a little trick when it comes to breading - use one hand for wet and one hand for dry.  This keeps the breadcrumbs from stickin all over your fingers.  With my left hand, I coated each piece of squash in the egg whites then dropped it into the breadcrumbs.  With my right hand, I pressed breadcrumbs onto each side of the squash then dropped it onto the baking sheet.

 
 
Once you have all your squash coated and on the pan, drizzle 1/2 tbsp olive oil evenly on top.  Then pop em in the oven.

 
 
Let them cook for 10 minutes, then flip them over.  Let them cook for about 10-12 more minutes, and that's it!

 
Easy, simple, quick, healthy, and delicious!
 
Here's the nutrition info per serving (makes 4 servings of about 40g per serving):
• Calories: 96
• Protein: 3g
• Carbs: 14g
• Fat: 4g
 
 
 
If you want to follow my blog, just find the "follow by email" section on the left, add your email address, and click the submit button.  You'll get notified as soon as I post new things!  You can also keep up with me on facebook and instagram.
 
Have a good one!! :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment