Friday, December 6, 2013

Food Is Fuel, NOT Therapy

I have learned something about myself this week...I have a problem with emotional eating!  When I get bored, I want to munch on Cheez-its.  When I get stressed, I want to eat greasy cheese sticks from Sonic...with an extra-long chili cheese coney...and a dr. pepper with cherry and vanilla...and possibly cheese cake bites.  When I get upset, I want anything chocolate.  I could go on and on, but it all boils down to the fact that I have lived the majority of my life turning to food for comfort.  Instead of dealing with whatever is going on at the moment, I want to grab food to take my mind off of whatever it is so I can feel better for a little while.  Now what does that solve?  NOTHING!

This is a problem I deal with on a daily basis, and I have to seriously stop and think about food decisions all the time.  Like yesterday, I had to go pick up some medicine from Walgreens...and on the way there, I was like OH! I can grab a Snickers while I'm there!  Then I was like wait, I can't do that because I have to run later.  So I avoided the temptation all together and took the drive-through pharmacy window instead.  Then today at lunch, I had to go run errands...passing by Taco Bell, Sonic, Arby's, ALL those tempting fast-food places.  When I thought about swinging in, I thought about how much progress I have made just the past few days, and I thought about running in the freezing cold last night - and I just kept on driving!

My coach and friend said something the other day, "Food is not therapy" - and it has really stuck with me.  I never realized how much I turn to food to make me feel better, and breaking that habit is super hard!  Is this something you struggle with too?  If so, the next time you catch yourself wanting to go to the dreaded drive-through or grab a candy bar, stop and ask yourself these questions:
  • Will eating this help me reach my long-term goal?
  • Is this even healthy or is it just empty calories?
  • Why do I want to eat this all of a sudden?
  • Is eating this going to solve what's bothering me?
  • What healthy alternative is there instead of eating this?

AND REMEMBER...


No comments:

Post a Comment